Academic Probation/Suspension

After grades are submitted each semester, students are notified of their academic standing with the College. As an advisor, you may have questions about how to assist students who are on academic probation or who have been suspended. The Academic Probation and Suspension Information page contains the Probation/Suspension policies.

How can I tell if my advisees are on probation or have been suspended?

1. Log in to myPSC

2. Be sure you are viewing your role as Faculty/Advisor.

3. Look under the Advisees tab at the top.

4. Click My Advisees.

5. You'll see a list of all of your advisees. Their academic standing will be noted. If they are a new first-year student, they will likely not have an academic standing yet. For information about the various types of standings, consult the Academic Probation page.

What steps do my students need to take if they are placed on probation?

They should access the Academic Probation  page and complete the Academic Probation Contract and Self-Assessment. This form asks them to think about the difficulties they faced which resulted in being placed on probation and their plan for success in the coming semester.

Students who are new to probation will not have their registration changed in any way. However, they will not be able change their registration until the probation contract is completed.

During the semester of probation, they will meet with an academic Bobcat Success Coach to monitor their progress on their success plan. Questions about Bobcat Success Coaching can be directed to Dr. Susanne Williams.

What are some ways that I can help my students who are on academic probation?

Your student will be provided a Bobcat Success Coach who will arrange coaching appointments throughout the semester. Students should fully participate in the meetings and complete the Academic Success Plan and refer back to it throughout the semester to stay on track and meet their goals. Their coach will help them create goals and strategies for success and connect them with campus resources.

Visit with your advisees and,  if needed:
  • Review their course schedule for the semester
  • Determine if they have selected courses in which they can be successful.
  • Retake any courses that they have failed or need a C- or better for their major
  • Balance their course schedule to reflect a manageable work load.
Encourage them to take advantage of the additional resources Peru State provides including
  • Tutoring
  • Counseling
  • Library
  • ADA/Disability Services
  • COLL 298 Strategies for Academic Success, a 1 credit study skills course that is offered Fall 2020
Students should officially withdraw from a course that they feel they may not be able to pass. See the academic calendar for official deadlines for withdrawing

Note: Withdrawing from courses may affect their Financial Aid eligibility status as does failing a course.

What options do students have if they are suspended?

Students can appeal their suspension to the Vice President for Academic Affairs by completing this form. Students are directed to this information in the letter they receive and there is a deadline by which they must appeal.

Academic Suspension Appeal Form

If they are approved to come back before sitting out the length of their suspension period, they must complete the Academic Probation Contract and Self-Assessment on the Academic Probation  page before they can register. Students in this situation are then on probation.

Students are dropped from their upcoming term courses when they are suspended. So, if they are approved to come back early, they will need to register for those courses again.

If students sit out the one-semester suspension, they do not have to be re-admitted if they have only been out one semester. If they are out two semesters or more, they will need to be re-admitted through Admissions. For a second suspension, Faculty Senate must review their appeal before they are allowed to return. After three suspensions, the student may no longer continue at Peru State College.